You know how they say that the grass is always greener on the other side? We all want our gardens to be as green and fresh-looking as possible. Apart from being aesthetically pleasing, sometimes this is also necessary. For example, landlords and property owners, or even local Councils, insist on tenants and house owners keeping their gardens in a proper state.
In this article, we are going to provide you with helpful insights on how to paint your lawn. Learn more about this popular technique for DIY lawn paint adopted by gardeners in Australia. Below you can find a simple lawn paint recipe that includes only three ingredients!
What is lawn paint, and how you can use it
Lawns require a lot of effort and care to keep in good shape. Among many things, your lawn should be well-watered and regularly fertilised, as well as treated against pests. You should always remove any yellow patches of grass and mow your lawn regularly. After all, the healthier a lawn is, the greener it will be.
But there are a variety of factors that can contribute to your lawn’s degeneration and are outside of your control – take temperature and humidity, for one. Yellowing and patchy lawns are an eyesore. This is where lawn paint comes in handy. It’s used to improve your lawn’s appearance immediately.
The notion of painting grass green became popular in the 1950s. The method was first adopted by Hollywood productions, followed by different businesses, such as golf clubs, and later on, found its way to regular households.
While at the beginning many people believed that the paint is in some way harmful to the grass, nowadays it’s a much more common process. Applying lawn paint is completely harmless and could have an excellent lasting effect. Some garden and landscape businesses offer a lawn painting service. If you want to do it yourself, you can find grass dye in the bigger home and garden stores or you can make your own. Find below the recipe!
How to make your own lawn paint
Even if you’ve never done it, painting grass is a relatively easy task. As previously mentioned, you can either buy lawn paint from the store or use a DIY product. There is a very simple lawn paint recipe. All you need are the three main ingredients – lawn fertiliser, Epsom salt, and green food dye.
For a small to medium-sized lawn, you need to mix one pound of liquid fertiliser, four pounds of Epsom salt, and a ¼ cup of food colouring. Note that Epsom salt adds magnesium and iron to the lawn, which is generally extremely useful. However, if you have a healthy soil nutrient balance, you can skip the Epsom salt.
Stir carefully while slowly adding all ingredients in a big bucket and continue until the mixture is tinted green. The salt and fertiliser are beneficial for your grass as they provide much-needed nutrients. Food colouring, on the other hand, has no harmful effects whatsoever.
Tips on how to paint your lawn
Once you have the DIY grass paint, you can proceed with the next step – lawn painting. Before you do that, consider a few important things as follows:
- Have you fertilised your grass recently? This is important since fertilising your grass is good. However, overfertilising your grass is not advisable.
- Do you have small children or any pets? If yes, make sure the fertiliser you use is 100% non-toxic.
- What is the season? Bear in mind that we do not recommend you use homemade lawn paint during the summer. If this is the case, it would be best if you consult a professional or buy grass paint from a specialised store.
- Did you make a nice, natural green colour? Once you make the DIY lawn paint, make sure to examine the colour to determine if it suits your needs. If you have even the tiniest doubts about it, we recommend that you abort the mission to spare yourself the disappointment. In such a case, maybe it will be best to buy lawn paint instead.
First, you need to prepare – put on a pair of gloves, goggles, a breathing mask, and preferably some old clothes. Painting might involve some splashing, and you don’t want to end up with green paint all over your clothes. Following that, you need to prepare the area. Mow the lawn if necessary, clear any leaves and debris and remove garden furniture, so it does not become green as well.
Then, you can proceed to take the DIY lawn dye and apply it evenly on the lawn. You can use a spray bottle to apply the grass paint as this might be more convenient. We recommend that you start with a small area for testing to see if the colour is right. Also, make sure you use the DIY spray on grass consistently and evenly. Complete the painting process by slightly watering the lawn.
Book a professional lawn painting service
Hopefully, we managed to provide the grass painting answers you needed. If you are still not convinced that you can do the job yourself or grass painting is simply not on top of your priority list, we recommend that you book our professional lawn painting service. The Fantastic Gardeners will do the job for you and leave your lawn in excellent condition. They use professional, non-toxic lawn paint made from biodegradable ingredients harmless to humans, pets, and plants.
- Lawns require a lot of care and effort to keep in good shape;
- The healthier the lawn is, the greener it will be;
- You can use lawn paint to make your grass greener;
- Lawn paint is useful and harmless to people and pets;
- The fertiliser is what you should be careful with – make sure to buy a non-toxic one;
- A lawn paint recipe requires three ingredients – lawn fertiliser, Epsom salt, and green food dye;
- Be careful not to paint your patio, driveway, or garden furniture;
- If you cannot do the job yourself, trust the Fantastic professionals.
Book your Fantastic lawn painting service today!
Enjoy your greener grass tomorrow!